Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fresh Air

Our weather is finally cooling down, I heard the weather person say that the 100+ days should be done for the year. My sanity thanks you. The kiddos and I can resume our daily trips to the park, and we can go any time of the day! Not just at 8AM before it 'heats up'. Backyard play has resumed as well, and I think the fresh air has been good for everyone.

One thing I've been dying to get, for the 8 years we've lived in this house, is a metal security door on the front of the house. For those who don't know, these are regular screen doors on steroids, and a common feature on Arizona houses. Somehow, the only window on the front of the house that opens, is in an upstairs bedroom. Downstairs, there aren't even any functioning windows on the side of the house. How does that happen? Security reasons?

That means that even with the back door and downstairs windows open, there is no crossbreeze. For a girl who moved here from a craftsman house in San Diego with no A/C and windows open all the time, this is a soul killer. I need my fresh air.

About a week and a half ago, my father-in-law was in town and graciously purchased (and offered to help install) the security door for us. Unfortunately, we found out when we brought it home that our doorstep would need to be built out, or we'd have a huge gap at the bottom. Hubby and father-in-law thought it would be a better use of time and money to let an installer do it.

A shady installer came out yesterday and tried to upsell me on a bunch of stuff he would do 'on the side', outside of the Lowe's contract. Our door frame wasn't plumb, etc, etc. Hubby decided just to go back to Lowe's and have them re-assess what the issue was. Thankfully, they sent out a new installer, ironically named Jesus. He did a fabulous job, and despite our door frame indeed being messed up, he was able to get it installed without rebuilding the entire front of our house.

So I now have my screen door, and my cross breezes, and my fresh air. Thank you, Jesus! You have saved us. I think God is winking about this one. ;)

View from inside
View from outside
 Hugs,
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment